Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer Hang & Crash

Windows 8.1.. :-)  Flattering, isn't it? Indeed it is.. As soon as i got to know that Microsoft released Windows 8.1 to Developers, I jumped on and downloaded the much awaited Operating System. I upgraded my machine from Windows 8 and the upgrade was smooth and easy..

But.. when i tried running IE, it hung and crashed... and there was no log or event for it? Confusing..
Reset the browser, removed add-ons but still the same.. But fortunately i was able to run it with "Run as Administrator", now that was interesting..

On the contrast, when i logged in with Local User account, it worked ..Hmm, but always failed to start with Domain account..

After working thru different options and I found disabling "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" under Advanced | Security fixes the issue.


I will post my investigation in the next article but till then if your IE 11 doesn't work on Windows 8.1 RTM image try disabling the Enhanced Protected Mode :)

No comments:

Post a Comment